A former railway crossing cottage on a site extending to approximately 0.17 acres (0.07 hectares) that requires full renovation, but also with the benefit of outline planning permission to demolish the existing cottage and construct a replacement dwelling with separate cartlodge.
Method of Sale
The property is offered for sale by Unconditional Timed Online Auction on Wednesday 24th November 2021 and on the assumption the property reaches the reserve price, exchange of contracts will take place upon the fall of the electronic gavel with completion occurring 20 working days later. For details of how to bid please read our Online Auction Buying Guide.
The vendor’s solicitor is preparing an Auction Legal Pack. This will be available to view online and interested parties should Register online to receive updates. If you are viewing a hard set of these particulars or via Rightmove or alike please visit the Online Property Auctions section of Clarke and Simpson’s website to Watch/Register/Bid.
The seller’s solicitor is the solicitor to the council, East Suffolk Council, East Suffolk House, Riduna Park, Station Road, Melton, Woodbridge IP12 1RT; Tel: 01394 383789; For the attention of Louise Sayer; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend that interested parties instruct their solicitor to make any additional enquiries prior to the auction.
The cottage will be found in a rural location to the north-east of the village and adjacent to the Ipswich to Lowestoft railway line. Campsea Ashe is a rural yet convenient village with easy access to the A12. The village benefits from a popular dining pub, The Duck, together with a shop and railway station, also housing an impressive community café, with services running to Lowestoft to the north and Ipswich to the south, which has connecting trains to London’s Liverpool Street station. The village is also home to Clarke & Simpson’s Auction Centre. The property is conveniently positioned for Suffolk’s Heritage Coast, and with the popular market town of Woodbridge being 7 miles to the south-east. Snape Maltings, with its world famous concert hall, is just over 4 miles away and Aldeburgh, with its sailing and 18 hole golf course, is approximately 10 miles. The pretty riverside village of Orford is approximately 7.5 miles.
The property comprises a former railway crossing cottage in a rural location to the north-east of the village of Campsea Ashe. The cottage itself now requires complete renovation and refurbishment, but the site also benefits from outline planning permission. This was granted by East Suffolk Council on 26th February 2021 (reference DC/20/4198/OUT) for the demolition of the existing cottage and erection of a replacement dwelling and additional cartlodge. Being an outline planning permission, details relating to the layout, scale, appearance access and landscaping will form part of the Reserved Matters application that are to be submitted to and approved by the local planning authority before any development commences on site.
As part of the planning application the architect, Mullins Dowse Architects submitted a Statement of Design Parameters document. The commentary and drawings that were included in that document suggested that a replacement dwelling with a footprint of just over 1,000 sq ft (100 sqm) together with possible first floor accommodation that equates to a further 50% of the ground floor area creating a dwelling of approximately 1,450 sq ft (135 sqm) in all may be achievable. In addition a detached cartlodge was also suggested.
Network Rail were not consulted as part of the planning application, and as such their formal response was received after the planning permission was granted. Network Rail advised that the Blackstock level crossing is an occupation and public footpath level crossing and the proposed development land has no rights in the level crossing. Network Rail advise that any developer of this site should contact their Asset Protection and Optimisation team prior to works commencing on site - AssetProtectionAnglia@networkrail.co.uk.
Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) may be payable and this will be set on the grant of a Reserved Matters planning permission. However, if the plot is purchased by a self builder/owner occupier, then we understand that exemption from CIL may be available. Any detailed enquiries relating to CIL should be referred to the Local Planning Authority, East Suffolk Council; email - CIL@eastsuffolk.gov.uk; Tel: 01502 523052.
We are advised that there are no mains services connected to the site. Previously a generator provided electricity; water was via a borehole on site and drainage was to a private treatment system (septic tank or similar).
Strictly by prior appointment with the agents. Please adhere to current Covid guidelines.
Access to the cottage is unlikely as it has been secured for health and safety purposes.
East Suffolk Council, East Suffolk House, Station Road, Melton, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 1RT; Tel: 01394 383789.
Heading south on the B1078 from Wickham Market to Campsea Ashe, continue across the A12 flyover and take the first turning on your left on to Station Road. Continue along this road until the crossroads. Proceed over the crossroads continuing along Station Road where the property will be found on the left hand side just before the level crossing.
What 3 Words
1. These particulars are produced in good faith, are set out as a general guide only and do not constitute any part of a contract. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers or lessees in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn. Interested parties should rely on their own/their surveyors investigations as to the construction type of the property and its condition. No warranty can be given for any of the services or equipment at the property and no tests have been carried out to ensure that heating, electrical or plumbing systems and equipment are fully operational. Any distances, room aspects and measurements which are given are approximate only. Any plans are indicative only and may not be the same as the transfer plan/s. No guarantee can be given that any planning permissions or listed building contents or building regulations have been applied for or approved. The agents have not been made aware of any covenants or restrictions that may impact the property, unless stated otherwise.
2. Under Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017 we, as Estate Agents, are required to obtain identification from buyers in the form of the photo page of your passport or a photo driving licence. The document must be in date. In addition, we need proof of address in the form of a utility bill with the name and address of the buyer. This must not be more than three months old. We are also under obligation to check where the purchase funds are coming from. When you register to bid you will be prompted to provide the appropriate money laundering documentation.
3. In the unlikely situation of our client considering an offer prior to auction, a premium price would have to be put forward and the purchaser would be required to sign the contract and put down a 10% deposit and pay the Buyers Administration Charge, well in advance of the auction date. An offer will not be considered unless a potential buyer has read the legal pack and is in a position to immediately sign the contract. The seller is under no obligation to accept such an offer. It should be noted that Clarke and Simpson cannot keep all interested parties updated and at times will be instructed to accept an offer and exchange contracts without going back to any other parties first.
4. Additional fees: Buyers Administration Charge - £900 including VAT (see Buying Guide). Disbursements - please see the Legal Pack for any disbursements listed that may become payable by the purchaser upon completion.
5. The guide price is an indication of the sellers minimum expectations. This is not necessarily the figure that the property will sell for and may change at any time prior to the auction. The property will be offered subject to a reserve (a figure below which the auctioneer cannot sell the property during the auction) which we will expect to be set within the guide range of no more than 10% above a single figure guide.
6. Prospective purchasers should note that there are pylons in the field to the south of the site, beyond the railway line.
7. Drawings provided by kind permission of Mullins Dowse Architects of Woodbridge; 01394 382544; www.mullinsdowse.co.uk.
* Generally speaking Guide Prices are provided as an indication of each seller's minimum expectation, i.e. 'The Reserve'. They are not necessarily figures which a property will sell for and may change at any time prior to the auction. Virtually every property will be offered subject to a Reserve (a figure below which the Auctioneer cannot sell the property during the auction) which we expect will be set within the Guide Range or no more than 10% above a single figure Guide.
By setting a proxy bid, the system will automatically bid on your behalf to maintain your position as the highest bidder, up to your proxy bid amount. If you are outbid, you will be notified via email so you can opt to increase your bid if you so choose.
If two of more users place identical bids, the bid that was placed first takes precedence, and this includes proxy bids.
Another bidder placed an automatic proxy bid greater or equal to the bid you have just placed. You will need to bid again to stand a chance of winning.